Spanish B SL
Part of the IB Diploma Programme subject group 2, Language Acquisition, Spanish B SL is a course designed for students with some previous experience of the language. This usually means having completed the Spanish ab initio course or having studied the language for a minimum of 120 hours. The focus of the course is on improving language acquisition and skills through authentic materials such as magazine articles, films and podcasts.
What is different in taking Spanish B SL online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access authentic materials in a variety of media
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers, conversation teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practice easily
- practice essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
- learn at their own pace and in a location of their choice
Topics covered through the course
Spanish B SL covers a variety of topics affecting the Hispanic and wider world based on three core topics: social relationships, communication and media, and global issues.
In addition to this, students can choose optional topics from the following: customs and traditions, cultural diversity, health, science and technology, and leisure.
Activities and assessment
The emphasis is on learning actively together. Activities include live and asynchronous online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos and interactive exercises. The course also provides more traditional activities such as reading comprehension, essay writing and oral practice to prepare students for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Spanish B SL, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Spanish B SL online will enable students to:
- take part on a course designed by some of the best IB Spanish teachers in the world
- be supported by highly experienced IB teachers
- communicate clearly, effectively and fluently in Spanish
- understand and appreciate different perspectives of people from Spain and Latin America.
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel in an increasingly important part of the world
- be creatively and intellectually stimulated
Words from our students
I could do my work whenever I wanted, not just when I had to go to class but when I actually wanted to learn.
I think this type of stimulating, inclusive learning experience epitomises everything that is right with the IB ethos. I have only to thank my teacher and the Pamoja Education staff for making the past two years the best of my academic life.
You have several ways to contact everyone and you always interact with everyone weekly through discussions.
My online learning experience definitely taught me self-motivation and that’s been so important for starting university.
The course was rigorous and challenging, yet at the same time provided me with freedom and independence which taught me self-discipline and encouraged me to organize my workload.
The online Math HL course has prepared me for university in ways that a traditional course cannot, both in terms of the quality of the teaching, and of the time management skills that I developed during the course.
Interacting with people from other countries all over the world and other cultures brings in more of the IB idea, where we’re a global community and we can interact with each other using the internet.
You really learn how to schedule your own time. I think it prepares you for college, when you have fewer classes and more flexibility with your time.
The online Mandarin ab initio course allows me to make a personal connection to my teacher. I have weekly conversations with an online tutor that the Pamoja Education system sets up so that we can practice our speaking.