Spanish ab initio
Part of the IB Diploma Programme subject group 2, Language Acquisition, Spanish ab initio is a course for students with no previous formal experience of learning Spanish. It will enable them to communicate with people from a new culture and make the most of any time they spend in Spain and Latin America.
What is different in taking Spanish ab initio online?
Students will have the opportunity to:
- access a structured learning environment that provides flexibility and support in equal measure
- study alongside students from around the world
- gain experience of using the latest online learning tools
- regularly communicate with teachers, conversation teachers and fellow students
- take part in interactive and engaging lessons that allow them to learn, review and practice easily
- practice essential 21st century skills such as digital literacy, collaboration and self-organisation
Topics covered through the course
Spanish ab initio not only covers essential vocabulary and grammar, but also key elements of Hispanic life and culture such as food, leisure, family relationships and entertainment.
Activities and assessment
Activities include live online discussions, creating presentations, learning from videos, contributing to blogs and wikis as well as exciting, hand-writing practice and interactive tasks. The emphasis is on learning actively together. Of course, there will be some traditional activities such as essay writing and oral practice to prepare you for the exams.
Assessment will be both formative and summative and fully in accordance with IB criteria.
Advice from our teachers
In order to succeed in Spanish ab initio, we recommend students set aside five to six hours a week.
Benefits to students
Taking Spanish ab initio online will enable students to:
- develop their receptive, productive and interactive skills
- learn with students and teachers from around the world
- function successfully in a Spanish-speaking environment
- develop an appreciation of the cultural riches of Hispanic world
- greatly expand their possibilities for work, entertainment and travel
Words from our students
I could do my work whenever I wanted, not just when I had to go to class but when I actually wanted to learn.
I think this type of stimulating, inclusive learning experience epitomises everything that is right with the IB ethos. I have only to thank my teacher and the Pamoja Education staff for making the past two years the best of my academic life.
You have several ways to contact everyone and you always interact with everyone weekly through discussions.
My online learning experience definitely taught me self-motivation and that’s been so important for starting university.
The course was rigorous and challenging, yet at the same time provided me with freedom and independence which taught me self-discipline and encouraged me to organize my workload.
The online Math HL course has prepared me for university in ways that a traditional course cannot, both in terms of the quality of the teaching, and of the time management skills that I developed during the course.
Interacting with people from other countries all over the world and other cultures brings in more of the IB idea, where we’re a global community and we can interact with each other using the internet.
You really learn how to schedule your own time. I think it prepares you for college, when you have fewer classes and more flexibility with your time.
The online Mandarin ab initio course allows me to make a personal connection to my teacher. I have weekly conversations with an online tutor that the Pamoja Education system sets up so that we can practice our speaking.